How are new extensions paid for?
The Queen Anne's County Sanitary District is a public enterprise system, which means it must be self-supporting and does not receive tax dollars to operate. Therefore, water and wastewater projects resulting from new development are paid for by the developer. The cost of extending service is borne by the developer requesting the service. Engineering designs are reviewed and approved by the Sanitary District. Once approved, a surety typically must be in place to ensure the work is completed to the approved design, and an inspection fee is paid to the Sanitary District to reimburse the District for field inspection. The property owner would then hire the contractor of their choice to perform the actual construction.

In some cases, the County serves existing developments that have been identified as having failing septic systems. In these cases, an assessment is placed on each property for a period of 20 years and transfers with the sale of the property.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I make my water and wastewater service payments?
2. How do you determine the amount of my bill?
3. Why do I have to pay so much for a vacant lot, or uninhabited dwelling?
4. Who can I call if I need further billing information?
5. What are the current rate schedules?
6. Why are my water and sewer rates so much more expensive than where I used to live?
7. How do I get public water and/or wastewater extended to my property?
8. How are new extensions paid for?
9. What should I do if sewage backs up into my house?
10. What causes a sewage backup?
11. What can I do to prevent backups?