Last Friday we announced the launch of a pilot program, in joint effort with the Maryland State Highway Administration and the Maryland Transportation Authority, aimed at enhancing traffic flow and safety. This Pilot Program will involve temporary detours and closures of select exits along Route 50 over three weekends in September into October.
The pilot program is scheduled to take place on the following weekends:
- Saturday, September 16, 2023 – 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Sunday, September 17, 2023 – 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Saturday, September 23, 2023 – 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Sunday, September 24, 2023 – 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Saturday, September 30, 2023 – 10:00 AM – 8:00PM
- Sunday, October 1, 2023 – 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
During these weekends, several exits will be temporarily closed to encourage travelers to remain on Route 50 and reduce congestion on adjacent side roads. However, it's important to note that the Castle Marina Exit (39A) will remain open to westbound traffic, serving as the last entry point onto Route 50 Westbound prior to the Bay Bridge. Eastbound route 50 will not be affected by any detours or closures.
Specific details of the exit closures and detours are as follows:
- The Shopping Center Road Exit, which includes establishments such as Hardees, Dunkin Donuts, and Cult Classic, will be open for travelers to exit Route 50. However, access to re-enter westbound Route 50 from this exit will be closed. Travelers who exit here will need to return to Castle Marina Road (Chester McDonald's) to access westbound Route 50.
- The Duke Street Exit (38A) will allow travelers to exit Route 50 westbound to access the gas station and return to Route 50 westbound. Beyond the gas station, a closure will be in place just before Stevensville Middle School to prevent access to Route 18 or westbound Route 50 from Route 18.
- The Route 8 Exit (37) will permit westbound travelers to exit Route 50 and access Route 8, allowing them to travel north or south on Route 8. Please note that there will be no access to westbound Route 50 from Route 8. Travelers wishing to access Route 50 westbound from Route 8 will need to return to Castle Marina Road (Chester McDonald's).
Queen Anne’s County Government and its partners understand that this pilot program may require adjustments, and we appreciate the public's patience and cooperation during these weekends. Public feedback is always welcome by emailing email@example.com. At the conclusion of the pilot program, we will announce multiple ways for residents to provide additional feedback on the program. This will include a combination of Town Hall Public Meetings and virtual means for those unable to attend. Stayed tuned for dates and details.