Cray House - Circa 1809
This gambrel-roofed wooden house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building features unusual post-and-plank construction. Tours are available by request and this house is open the 1st Saturday of each month from May to October during the hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Read more about the Cray House.
Bowlingly - Queenstown
This impressive National Register Georgian house was constructed in 1733. When British troops descended upon the town during the War of 1812, the house was badly damaged. In 1897, the Queen Anne's County Railroad Company acquired the property and transformed the house and grounds into a hotel and amusement park.
James E Kirwan Museum - Circa 1889
The James E Kirwan Museum consists of a country store and was the home of the former state senator. Read the history of this historical landmark.
Tucker House - Circa 1792
One of the oldest houses in Centreville, built on the 2nd lot sold in Centreville, the Tucker House features period furnishings and memorabilia, including a collection of rose medallion china. An herb garden is located in back of the house. Tours are available by request. This house currently serves as the office for the Queen Anne's County Historical Society. The house is open Wednesday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. It is also open the 1st Saturday of each month from May through October from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Wright's Chance - Circa 1744
This early plantation house was moved from original site and was patented in 1681. Restored by the Queen Anne's County Historical Society, this gambrel-roofed plantation house contains period furnishings that were moved to the current location in 1964. Collections of Chippendale and Hepplewhite furniture and Canton china can be found inside. Tours are available by request and the house is open the 1st Saturday of each month from May through October from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Kent Manor Inn - Stevensville
This large country inn sits in the middle of a 226 acre tract once called Smithfield. The original wing of the inn was constructed by Sarah Smyth and her husband, Drive. Samuel Thompson, a prominent local physician. A marriage contract, executed between Sarah and Samuel Thompson, allowed Sarah to retain control of her assets after their 1811 marriage. In 1843 Sarah gave the house and 309 acres to her son, who, just prior to the Civil War, added the large 13-room center section of the inn.
The land on which the National Register site Bloomingdale stands was originally patented in 1665 as Mount Mill. The federal-style brick mansion, erected in 1792, is one of the finest in the county.
The Captains' Houses
This closely set row of 4 small houses built along Corsica Creek was constructed by Captain John H. Ozmon. These dwellings were used by the captains and crew members of Ozmon's schooners that sailed the Chesapeake.
Built in 1890 and moved to its present location in the 1930's, this 19th century hunting lodge was the home of Samuel and Mary Middleton. They were the founders of the original Gunston School in 1911. The school continues, to this day, to represent both the physical and symbolic soul of Gunston Day School.
To read more on Queen Anne's County history please visit Kent Island Heritage Society Read more about Kent Island Heritage Society.