QAC 2020 Fireworks
The Annual Independence Day Celebration will be a fireworks show only on July 1, 2020. There are no scheduled activities and the Chesapeake Heritage Visitors Center will not be open to the public. Residents are asked to watch from parking lot or in the Kent Narrows area. Free parking is available at the old outlets, located at the beginning of Piney Narrows Road, there is limited parking and residents are asked to stay in their car.
When: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 with a rain date of July 2, 2020 (if event is pushed to rain date it will be announced)
Where: Fireworks will be set off at the same location as the last several years in the Kent Narrows area.
Time: Fireworks are scheduled to start around 9:00 PM and will last approximately 20 minutes.
Event: The family fun activities that are normally held prior to the fireworks have been cancelled. This is a fireworks show only.
Parking: Free parking will be offered the same as every year at the “old outlets” located at the beginning of Piney Narrows Road. The parking lot will be locked until 7:00 PM the night of the fireworks.
Residents are encouraged to watch the fireworks show from their vehicle. If people do gather to watch please avoid large groups and keep a six foot distance between yourself and people that do not reside with you. Although masks are not generally required outside, it is recommend to wear a mask if you find yourself in a situation where social distancing is difficult. Keep in mind that there is generally no place to wash your hands in a parking lot. Make sure to bring hand sanitizer with you. A small amount of portable restrooms will be available in the parking lot of the “Old Outlets”.
As we have done in previous years, Piney Narrows Road, just past the entrance to the “Old Outlets” will be blocked starting at 6:30 PM. Residents including their guests and businesses past the road block will be permitted.
Ferry Point Park including the walking bridge will be closed at sunrise June 30th until sunrise July 2nd, for the QAC Independence Day Fireworks taking place on July 1st. If the fireworks are rained out on July 1st the park will remain closed until July 3rd.
The Chesapeake Heritage and Visitors Center parking lot will also be closed to the public from 6:00 PM on Tuesday, June 30th until 8:00 AM Thursday, July 2nd.
The Queen Anne’s County Office of the Sheriff will be setting up numerous traffic control points and detours to help with traffic flow starting at 8:00 PM following the fireworks. Details of this will be provided prior to the event.
Traffic Detours and Parking
- Officers directing traffic Control posts will begin around 8:00 PM in the Kent Narrows area to allow event attendees to leave the area. Use caution
- Piney Narrows Road will be blocked just past the old outlets starting at 6:30 pm on July 1st. Residents from Piney Narrows and their guests will be allowed through. All others will need to park at the “Old Outlets” parking lot. For questions email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exiting the “Old Outlets” parking lot - All Traffic exiting from southbound Piney Narrows Road at the “Old Outlets” will be directed to westbound Route 50. No traffic will be allowed to turn left toward Main Street.
- West side of Kent Narrows - All traffic exiting from Piney Narrows Road at the public parking area under the overpass will be directed to turn right toward Main Street or to proceed toward the westbound Route 50 ramp.
- Piney Narrows Road at Main Street - All traffic exiting from Piney Narrows Road at Main Street will be directed westbound on Main Street. No traffic will be allowed to proceed east on Main Street.
- Kent Narrows Way North - All traffic exiting from Kent Narrows Way North onto Main Street will be directed eastbound. No traffic will be allowed to proceed west on Main Street.
- Kent Narrows Way South - Traffic on Kent Narrows Way South at Kent Narrows Road will be stopped to allow for reduction in backups.
- The drawbridge on Kent Narrows Road / Route 18 will be closed from 8:00 PM until the conclusion of the fireworks.
- Exit 42 Kent Narrows East / Route 18 Main Street will be temporarily closed at the start of the fireworks show. The exit will remain closed until the event goers have cleared the area.
- Exit 41 Kent Narrows West / Route 18 Main Street from westbound route 50 will be temporarily closed at the start of the fireworks show. The exit will remain closed until the event goers have cleared the area.
- These traffic patterns will continue until the traffic flow exiting the fireworks event has subsided.